Social and Health Care in Croatia

Moving to the country you might want to know that you are entitled to receive your UK pension even while abroad. You’ll also do well to gain some basic knowledge about health care in Croatia. Luckily, that’s what this article is for.

UK Pensions in Croatia

You will need to check the Pension Service in the UK for up to date information on how you can claim your state pension. You need to inform the IPC (International Pension Centre) to prevent problems with your pension payments. (Phone 0191 218 7777)
Croatia has double taxation agreements with the UK so you will not be taxed twice – provided you ensure that the tax offices are aware of your circumstances. You can arrange to have your pension paid directly into your Croatian bank account – and still benefit from the increases as if you still lived in the Britain. Contact HMRC and your pension providers well before you leave the UK.


Removals to Croatia


If you’ve only worked, lived or are working abroad then you must claim the State Pension through the relevant authority of the country where you currently live and have worked in.
If you have a life certificate from the UK Pension Service you need to reply as fast as possible otherwise your benefit may be stopped.

Health Care in Croatia and Social Security

Social security in Croatia is financed through social security contributions and taxes. Basic insurance is mandatory but you can supplement this by buying extra insurance. If you are employed the basic medical insurance contributions will be deducted the fee from your pay packet. If you permanently reside in Croatia, you are insured as well. Because this is a complex subject, you would be well advised to check with the Croatian Embassy when you check out the registry requirements, well before you leave.

Embassy of the Republic of Croatia in the UK
21 Conway Street, London W1T 6BN, UK

No Comments Yet.

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.