If you like it big then come to Hungary
The fact that surely is moving to Hungary nationals is that they’re homeland is one of the top 15 holiday destinations in the world, with a capital city reckoned to be one of the most beautiful on the planet. So what else is on offer?
The Hungary is a proud possessor of the following records:
- The second largest thermal lake in the world
- The largest lake in central Europe (Lake Balaton)
- The largest natural grassland in Europe
- The largest synagogue in Europe
- The largest medicinal bath in Europe
- The third largest church in Europe
- The second largest territorial abbey in Europe
- The second largest baroque castle in the world
- The largest Christian necropolis outside Italy
Hungary joined the EU in 2004 and has been a member of the Schengen area since 2007. The capital city is Budapest and the currency the forint (Ft). (In May 2014 £1 = 374 Ft.)
The ancestors of ethnic Hungarians were the Magyar tribes, who moved into the Carpathian Basin in 896. Hungary became a Christian kingdom under St Stephen in the year 1000. The capital city, Budapest, was originally two separate cities: Buda and Pest. It straddles the River Danube, is rich in history and culture and famed for its curative springs.
There are several sites where you can get information about expat clubs, news and communities. These three sites will give you a taste of what is available.
Top Tip on Moving to Hungary
You will be seen as fair game by some people, but expect also consideration, courtesy and generosity – as a guest you are extremely well looked after.
Check here to get a free quote on moving to Hungary.