Relocating to Slovenia from UK


Although Britain is not a member of the Schengen Area, and therefore customs formalities apply, because we are members of the EU, there is little of consequence to concern the average Briton when relocating to Slovenia from UK. Within the European Union there is free flow of goods, so you can bring into Slovenia anything for personal use, including currency. The exceptions to this are tobacco and alcohol, where there are restrictions.  gives more detailed information about this topic.


Registering Essentials

Within three days of your arrival in Slovenia you must go to the local police station to register your temporary residence. The Police officer will fill in a registration form based on your passport and enters you into the central register or the Ministry of the Interior.

You will need to apply for a Residence Registration Certificate within three months of your arrival at the local administrative centre, the documents you will need to support your application vary according to the reason for relocation, but basically they include:

  • ID (passport)
  • proof of income
  • health insurance

Once you have your registration of residence based on a permit to live in Slovenia, you will receive a national identity number (EMSO) from the Central Population Register. This will serve as a basis for arranging various administrative tasks like tax, bank accounts bad business arrangements. You will find further information at the government web site at:  After five years you may apply for a Permanent Residence Permit.

Relocating to Slovenia from UK

Relocating to Slovenia from UK with Pets

Pets require their own pet passport, microchips and rabies vaccinations within 1 year, but not closer than 21 days from departure, and up to date routine vaccinations. If you intend to bring the pet back to the UK you must ensure the rabies vaccinations are kept up to date.

No Comments Yet.

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.