Tag Archives: moving to Malta

Transportation in Malta


A taxi driver once explained Maltese driving in a nutshell to me. He said, “The English drive on the left, everyone else drives on the right but in Malta we drive in the shade”. I found that to be true although the rules say that they drive on the left, like us. You would be well advised to take out comprehensive insurance. There are speed limits of 80km/h (48mph) on the open road and 50km/h (30mph) in built-up areas, unless otherwise indicated on relevant road signs. However car is not a preffered mean of transportation in Malta.

National or international driving licences are accepted.  Petrol stations do not normally accept credit cards. The alcohol limit is 0.08% as in the UK. (more…)

Read more

Pensions in Malta

Medical Care and Social Insurance

In Malta you need not register with a doctor or dentist. You may have to make a patient contribution to the cost of your care. Make sure that you are treated by a state healthcare provider as you will not be covered for private healthcare. People receiving UK state retirement pensions in Malta, or long-term incapacity benefits, may be entitled to state-funded healthcare paid for by the UK. You’ll need to apply for form E 121 from the International Pension Centre (tel:  0191 218 7777). You need to register your E 121 with the Maltese Ministry of Health, which will issue you with a “Certificate of Entitlement”. You will need to show this form when seeking treatment in public health facilities. It also entitles you to an EHIC issued by the UK; this allows access to medical care in other EEA countries, including Britain. For refunds contact the Maltese Ministry of Health, Entitlement Unit and show your original receipts: (more…)

Read more

Malta in a Nutshell

No matter if you consider visiting Malta on vacation, moving there for a season or permanently relocating. The homeland of one of the oldest and most famous knight orders offers plenty of delightful experiences.

Malta in a Nutshell

Malta is a group of seven islands in the Mediterranean Sea. Only the three largest islands – Malta, Gozo and Comino – are inhabited. The terrain is low and rocky with coastal cliffs.


Read more

Social Life in Malta

The Language of Malta

Many Maltese also speak Italian but the national language is Maltese, which is part of the Semitic language family that includes Arabic. Maltese is one of the hardest languages to learn, but luckily English is also recognized as an official language, so taking part in social life in Malta won’t require breaking any tongues. (more…)

Read more

Buying a House in Malta


The European Free Movement of Workers agreement means you can start working and even buying a house in Malta without a visa or work permit.

As English is one of the official languages of Malta, language is no barrier to finding work. You may find it helpful to register with the Maltese Public Employment Service (ETC). You can register in person or online, upload a profile and your CV and more. Go to https://www.gov.mt/en and follow the link “find a job” at the very bottom of the page. There is lots of information about Malta in addition to work there. (more…)

Read more

Moving to Malta from UK

Registering Essentials

When you’re moving to Malta from UK you may apply for residency in person or by post. There is no charge, but you need to collect the permit in person. The address is:

Department of Home Affairs
Evans Building
St Elmo’s Place
Tel:  25904800 or 25904801

You will need: (more…)

Read more