Jobs and Pensions in Finland

Finding job in Finland as a foreigner

The European Free Movement of Workers agreement makes finding job in Finland as a foreigner that much easier. It means that you can live and work in Finland without a visa or work permit. You do, however, need a residency permit. When you register residency, you will be asked why you want to live in Finland, and your permit may be based upon your work prospects. It may be a permit based on employment or a permit based on self-employment.

Your ability to find work depends upon your language skills. Swedish is a bonus, but it helps to be fairly fluent in Finnish. English is also widely spoken in corporate circles. If you are moving for employment, the administrative details may be handled by the employer. It is wise to get a written contract if possible. A verbal contract gives little protection.


If you are a pensioner, you need to inform the IPC (International Pension Centre) to prevent problems with your pension payments (tel. 0191 218 7777). Finland has double taxation agreements with the UK so you will not be taxed twice — provided you ensure that the tax offices are aware of your circumstances. You can arrange to have your pension paid directly into your Finnish bank account, and still benefit from the increases as if you still lived in Britain. Contact HMRC and your pension providers well before you leave the UK.

If you’ve only worked, lived or are working abroad then you must claim the state pension through the relevant authority of the country where you currently live and have worked in.

Check prices for removals to Finland.

No Comments Yet.

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.