Health Care in Estonia

Questions of social insurance, pensions and health care in Estonia are paramount when you consider living there. I hope that you’ll find some useful guidance in the article below.


If you are a pensioner, you need to inform the IPC (International Pension Centre) to prevent problems with your pension payments. (Phone 0191 218 7777). Estonia has double taxation agreements with the UK so you will not be taxed twice – provided you ensure that the tax offices are aware of your circumstances. You can arrange to have your pension paid directly into your Estonian bank account – and still benefit from the increases as if you still lived in the Britain. Contact HMRC and your pension providers well before you leave the UK. If you’ve only worked, lived or are working abroad then you must claim the State Pension through the relevant authority of the country where you currently live and have worked in.


removals to Estonia


Health Care in Estonia

The Estonian Health Insurance Fund (EHIF) is the only organisation in Estonia that deals with compulsory health insurance. Insurance is checked according to your ID code, so you must show your ID card to the healthcare provider.

If you receive a UK state retirement pension or long-term incapacity benefit, you may be entitled to state-funded healthcare paid for by the UK. You’ll need to apply for form S1 from the International Pension Centre. Telephone: 0191 218 7777. You need to register your S1 with the Estonian CHIF. This entitles you to an EHIC issued by the UK, this allows access to medical care in other EEA countries – including Britain.

And the hospital notes may not follow you around as they do in the UK. YOU NEED TO KEEP YOUR OWN ACCURATE AND DETAILED RECORDS! You will also need an interpreter unless your Estonian is good. The NHS web site gives excellent advice and up to date information abount covering your health abroad.

No Comments Yet.

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.