VanOne is a trademark of VOGB Ltd, registered and used in the United Kingdom
Health Care in Hungary

Book cheap removals to Hungary

right here on this website.

Book cheap removals to Hungary

right here on this website.

Get quote & Book

Health Care in Hungary

Social Insurance and Health Care in Hungary

Health care in Hungary covers every citizen and resident. That’s due to tax-funded healthcare system – Országos Egészségbiztosítási Pénztár (OEP). Treatment is free for children, pensioners, students, disabled people and priests, but only from doctors within the system. However, there is a fee of HUF 600 (£1.60) per visit and HUF 1 000 (£2.67) at night-time.

Országos Egészségbiztosítási Pénztár (OEP) Address: 1139 Budapest, Váci Street 73/a Tel: (1) 350 2001

If you receive a UK state retirement pension or long-term incapacity benefit, you may be entitled to state-funded healthcare paid for by the UK. You’ll need to apply for form S1 from the International Pension Centre (telephone: 0191 218 7777). You need to register your S1 with the Hungarian OEP – this entitles you to an EHIC issued by the UK which allows access to medical care in other EEA countries – including Britain.

Medicines on prescription are generally available for a fee of HUF 300 (£0.80). However, depending on the medication concerned you may either be charged a reduced fee or have to pay the full price of the prescription. Because medical staff receive low wages, there is also a tradition of paying “gratitude money” after operations or childbirth. It is advisable to KEEP YOUR OWN ACCURATE AND DETAILED MEDICAL RECORDS! One good thing for us is that many doctors speak good English and are happy to practise it. The NHS website gives excellent advice and up-to-date information.


Pensions in Hungary

If you are a pensioner, you need to inform the IPC (International Pension Centre) to prevent problems with your pension payments (tel. 0191 218 7777).

Hungary has double taxation agreements with the UK. Thanks to that you will not be taxed twice – provided you ensure that the tax offices are aware of your circumstances. You can arrange to have your pension paid directly into your Hungarian bank account. This way you still benefit from the increases as if you still lived in Britain. Contact HMRC and your pension providers well before you leave the UK.

If you’ve only worked, lived or are working abroad then you must claim the state pension through the relevant authority of the country where you currently live and have worked in.

Check here for a free quotation of removals to Hungary.

Published By VanOne
Last updated on 12th August 2019

Related Posts

driving-in-HungaryDriving in Hungary

Public Transportation in Hungary Public transport in Hungary is both efficient and not too…

Hungary1Living in Hungary

Cost of Living in Hungary The cost of living in Hungary may vary. For instance…

social-life-in-HungarySocial Life in Hungary

Language One of the unique features of social life in Hungary is experiencing one of the…

relocating-to-Hungary-from-the-UKRelocating to Hungary from the UK

If you like it big then come to Hungary The fact…

Get an Instant Quote

What is the total volume and weight of the items you'd like to move?

Two men moves are provided by our partner.